from: Heather Larson, Meet Chicago Northwest
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breast
- 12 ounces kielbasa
- 2 Tbsp peanut oil
- 1 medium onion
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 Tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 small green pepper, diced
- 28 ounces tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 tsp Tabasco sauce
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp file gumbo powder
- 1 Tbsp Cajun seasoning
- Heat a large heavy sauce pan over high heat
- Slice sausage into bite-sized pieces and brown. Remove sausage from pan with slotted spoon and reserve dripping for next step.
- Wash chicken thoroughly, cut into 1/2 inch cubes and brown in remaining oil.
- Return sausage to pan and add onion, celery, garlic and peppers. Saute until vegetables are cooked through.
- Add liquid ingredients, including tomatoes and their juice. Stir to continue.
- Add file gumbo powder and Cajun spice and simmer over low heat for at least an hour.
- Season to taste with Tabasco and serve with cooked rice.
- Variations: You may add 8-10 ounces of peeled and de-veined shrimp to this recipe to make seafood jambalaya.